WWE taped this week’s edition of WWE SmackDown on Tuesday night from the Times Union Center in Albany, New York.
* Alberto Del Rio comes out and says tonight is about Edge. Del Rio says it is his destiny to win the World Heavyweight Championship but not this way. He says Edge should just come out and present him with the belt. Teddy Long comes out and says it won’t be going down like that. Long informs Del Rio he’ll still fight in a Ladder Match at Extreme Rules for the belt but a new number one contender will be determined in a 20-man over-the-top battle royal later tonight.
* Ezekiel Jackson b. Kofi Kingston w/The Corre on commentary. After the match, Jackson gets on the mic and says he is the personification of domination and after the battle royal he will be the number one contender and everyone will know including The Corre.
* LayCool are shown talking to a therapist about being a team but Michelle McCool doesn’t like it.
* Cody Rhodes comes out and says beating Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania isn’t enough. He says he is going to win the battle royal tonight and win the World Heavyweight Championship at Extreme Rules. Winning the title will be the only gratification for his disfigurement and he will not stop until he disfigures Mysterio’s face and gets vindication. Mysterio hits the ring and gives him a 619.
* WWE airs the Awesome Kong vignette.
* Rey Mysterio b. Drew McIntyre after hitting the 619.
* Backstage, Edge is getting an ovation from the Smackdown locker room. Edge and Kane shake hands.
* Edge comes out and gives a recap of his career. He says he is going to miss all of it. “Thank you” chants fill the arena. Edge says he wants to do his intro one more time. He’s pumped now and talking about how great the WWE doctors are and says he’s taking his girl and going surfing. Edge is happy he got to say goodbye in Albany because it’s the place where he won his first championship. In fact it was in a cab in Albany where Edge came up with the nickname Edge. He introduces his mother who is sitting in the front row and thanks her for all her support. To him his title has meant everything to him but the belt is not his. Edge says every fan holds a piece of it as he relinquishes the belt. Edge says it’s been a heck of a ride concluding another emotional shoot of a speech.
* Backstage, Alberto Del Rio interrupts Edge. Del Rio extends his hand but Edge stares him down. Del Rio smiles as Edge walks away.
* Kelly Kelly vs. Layla. Layla tries to do their entrance but Michelle McCool goes straight to the ring. Kelly wins via roll-up. McCool comes in the ring and shoves Layla across the ring and leaves.
* They air a video package of WWE superstars commenting on The Undertaker vs. Triple H from Wrestlemania.
* 20-Man Battle Royal to face Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship in a Ladder Match at Extreme Rules. Participants include Big Show, Chris Masters, JTG, Yoshi Tatsu, Trent Barreta, Heath Slater, Ezekiel Jackson, Chavo Guerrero, Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel, Tyler Reks, Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes, Curt Hawkins, Christian, Jack Swagger, Rey Mysterio, Brodus Clay and Kane. Justin Gabriel is eliminated by Barrett. Final four are Christian, Jack Swagger, Justin Gabriel and Rey Mysterio. Mysterio eliminates Gabriel then sets Swagger up for the 619. Michael Cole interferes and takes the 619 for Swagger. Swagger eliminates Mysterio. Christian eliminates Swagger to win the match. After the match, Edge comes out and celebrates with him. Edge and Christian pose in the ring as the entire locker room clears out to applaud them on the ramp.